Wednesday, March 28, 2012

5 Reasons I Love My Doula

It's World Doula Week (March 22-28) and that seems like a great time to talk about why I love my Doula.  You might be asking yourself, what's a Doula? I'll be honest, for most of my life I didn't know.  Put simply: she's a birth coach. But that hardly does the profession justice.

I'm going to tell you about my Doula (catching the theme of this blog yet? I pretty much just tell you what I'm thinking).  We were pregnant with Ethan, our first, and were in search of a Bradley Child  Birth class (picture Lamaze without the hyperventilating - then add empowering information and fun...Voila! That's Bradley - link it http://bradleybirth.com/). Anyway, google lead us to Jody (link it again http://jodysbirthjoy.blogspot.com/ fantastic birthing blog). Interestingly enough, Jody lead us to our midwife Ellen who is also amazing, but that's a whole separate post I'm betting. During our classes, Jody explained that she was also a Doula.

At the time, I didn't think I wanted a Doula. Don't get me wrong - they sounded awesome in theory. Someone who looks out for what you want and need during the birth; someone who can give your hubby a break after he's been supportive for hours and just needs a sandwich; generally just extra hands and heart in the room.  The downside? One more person watching me in the unattractive, naked process of giving birth. Now, after it's all said and done, during labor the last thing I was was shy. But leading up to that point, I thought I'd be a bit more modest. The key was to find someone I was comfortable with - strike that, extremely comfortable with. That person was Jody.

So, now that you've got the background, here they are - The 5 reasons I love my Doula:

#1 She knew what I needed before I needed it
This was key. During the actual birth, when Ethan (then just Baby, we didn't know the sex or the name until he made his world-debut) was making his push to freedom, I was in the zone. But childbirth is a marathon, not a spirit. I'd say that sometimes it's a triathlon, depending on who you're talking to. Anyway, before I realized I was thirsty, Jody was there with ice chips.  She suggested warm compresses that were the best thing in the world between pushes.  And she took pictures - lots of pictures. They were something I didn't know I wanted (again, not the most attractive I've ever been).  Now I can look at them with a 6 month old in my lap and marvel at the miracle. I don't pass around the album at Christmas, but they are something special for me and my husband.

#2 She taught me what I didn't know I didn't know
Ladies - your body knows how to grow and have a baby naturally, without any drugs or interventions.  I knew that.  But to make sure that you are ready to go when the time comes, you need to prep.  Not just physically, mentally too. Visualization was key to staying calm and making it through what I will lovingly call the "get-out-of-me-now-baby" moments.  More than that, do you have any idea how many positions you can labor and give birth in? A lot. My Doula was a wealth of information for any random question I had (or didn't have but should have had). She still answers my questions when I ask 6 months post-baby.The thing is, she's been there before herself and attended so many births that she has a list of ideas and tips to try.  Super handy!

#3 She was honest
She never lied about the birth process.  She never said a natural birth would be easy, fun, or pain-free.  She did say it would be rewarding, and that I could do it.  Both turned out to be quite true.  I did transfer to the hospital with Ethan and the staff was great.  But there was one nurse...She was younger and I know she meant well. She kept telling me that I was "almost done" and it would be "just one more push".  Two hours later...She was lucky I was trying to be serene and at peace for the baby, because she was headed for "just one more push" out the window.  Honestly, I had a great birth, but pretending it was almost over made it seem so long. Give it to me straight, I can take it.

#4 She's really loves what she does
You can tell when someone is passionate about their occupation. It is so clear that Jody loves to teach moms and dads how beautiful childbirth can be and that she really appreciates each birth she attends.  You can't fake that. And you don't want someone who's going to try. The truth about Doulas I've met: They love it and they want you to love the experience, too. They are there to help. 

#5 She still tells me what a champ I was
This one probably sounds a little self-serving (maybe it is - sue me) but any time Jody talks about my experience, she says how great of a job I did. You know what? That makes a mama feel good.  Not to mention, it makes me think I could do it again with gusto.  That's empowering.  Men, be jealous - Women are made to do some extraordinary things.  Peeing standing up is handy, but I think we have you beat, hands down.

To sum it up, I loved my birth experience and my Doula helped to make it amazing. Do I recommend having a Doula? I did and it was wonderful.  But like everything in your birth plan, you have to decide what's right for you.  I can say without hesitation that I will have a Doula present for any and all of my future births. And I'll have the pictures to prove it.

Erin Turo is a wife, mom, health enthusiast and the office manager at Turo Family Chiropractic. Visit Erin, her husband Dr. Dan and their son Ethan at their North Hills Pittsburgh office or their website.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Erin! What a beautiful tribute! I feel so honored and blessed! Thank you for your kind words. I feel blessed to have been present at Ethan's birth. You and Dan are awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jody - it's easy to write when it's all true :) Keep loving those babies!

      Delete